Top Attractions for Summer Near Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs has Something to do for Everyone
As the ultimate adventure hub in Colorado, Colorado Springs offers something for everyone! From a great dining scene downtown to a huge network of trails within the foothills of Pikes Peak, Colorado Springs is perfect for a memorable day out with friends and family.
Come explore everything Olympic City USA has to offer! Just over an hour’s drive from Colorado Springs, explore America’s Highest Suspension Bridge and the best Via Ferrata course in Colorado at the Royal Gorge Bridge & Park. Read more in this month’s blog about the top attractions in and around Colorado Springs.
Bucket List Adventures at the Royal Gorge Bridge & Park
Colorado Springs is a popular travel destination that attracts millions of visitors each year. It is home to numerous natural wonders, historical landmarks, and outdoor adventures. One of the top tourism attractions near Colorado Springs is the Royal Gorge Bridge & Park. This iconic attraction has been a favorite of visitors for over 90 years and offers breathtaking views of the Royal Gorge and the surrounding area, including the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and the Arkansas River.
The Royal Gorge Bridge is a suspension bridge that spans the Arkansas River and is the highest suspension bridge in North America. It was built in seven months in 1929 and held the title of the highest bridge in the world until 2001. Today, visitors can walk across the bridge and take in the stunning views of the gorge below. The bridge is 1,270 feet long and 956 feet above the river. It is not for the faint of heart as it can be quite windy and exposes sheer heights but, there is no shortage of breathtaking views for the best Colorado experience
The Royal Gorge Bridge & Park also features several family attractions in addition to the bridge. The park covers over 360 acres and offers visitors a wide variety of activities. One of the most popular thrill rides is the Royal Rush Skycoaster, which is certified the World’s Scariest Skycoaster. This ride takes visitors up the 100-foot tower, then drops them to swing over the rim of the Royal Gorge at speeds up to 50 mph and momentarily dangling 1,200 feet above the Arkansas River. It is a thrilling experience for those who love a good adrenaline rush and incredible scenic views.
Another popular attraction in the park is the Royal Gorge Via Ferrata. This 4- to 6- hour climbing experience offers the best value Via Ferrata in Colorado as your reservation also includes admission to the entire Royal Gorge Bridge & Park. Visitors on this climbing experience are guided along the granite walls of the Royal Gorge, clipping and unclipping themselves along steel cables on the route.
The park near Colorado Springs is also home to several hiking trails, including the Canyon Rim Trail and the Pine Ridge Trail. These trails offer visitors the opportunity to explore the natural beauty of the area up close. Just outside the park’s entrance, you will find several picnic areas and a campground, making it a great place to spend the day or even a weekend with your family.
For those who love outdoor adventures, the area around Colorado Springs is a paradise. Colorado Springs and the surrounding area offer visitors a wide variety of tourist attractions. From the stunning views of the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park to the natural beauty of the Garden of the Gods Park, there is something for everyone in this vibrant and exciting destination.
Must-See Places in Colorado Springs
In addition to the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park, there are plenty more top tourist attractions in and near Colorado Springs. Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventures, historical landmarks, or stunning natural beauty, Colorado Springs has it all.
- Garden of the Gods – This 1,300-acre park showcases towering red rock formations and stunning views of Pikes Peak. It is a free city park that boasts valuable local history. Visitors can hike, bike, or drive through the park and take in the natural beauty of the area.
- Pikes Peak Cog Railway – This historic railway takes visitors to the summit of Pikes Peak, which is one of the highest peaks in the Rocky Mountains. The railway has been in operation since 1891 and offers stunning views of the surrounding area.
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – This zoo lies along the mountain side of Cheyenne Mountain and is home to over 750 animals from around the world, including elephants, tigers, and giraffes. Visitors can take a scenic chairlift ride to the top of the zoo and enjoy stunning views of the city and the surrounding mountains.
4. Manitou Springs – This charming mountain town near Colorado Springs is known for its natural spring water. Visitors in the Pikes Peak Region have the opportunity to soak in the mineral-rich waters at SunWater Spa. The area is also home to several hiking trails, including the popular Barr Trail, which takes visitors to the 14,115-foot summit of Pikes Peak.
5. Rock climbing is another popular activity in the Colorado Springs area and beyond. The Garden of the Gods Park is a popular destination for climbers, as it offers a variety of routes for climbers of all skill levels, but you will need to apply for a climbing permit. Along the Royal Gorge Via Ferrata, your climbing tour includes an expert guide to show you the ropes of this centuries-old climbing system.
Other top tourist attractions in the area include the United States Air Force Academy, the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, and the United States Olympic & Paralympic Museum. There are several other museums and galleries in the area that showcase the art, history, and culture of Colorado Springs and the surrounding region.
With so much to see and do, it’s no wonder that Colorado Springs is such a popular travel destination. Whether you’re traveling with family, friends, or have lived in Colorado your whole life, there is something in Colorado Springs for everyone. Start planning your trip today and discover all that Colorado Springs and its surrounding areas have to offer!